Friday, July 13, 2012

Uncomfortable with the Elderly

Ok, so this may sound strange or disrespectful or whatever, but old people make me feel uncomfortable. There I said it. I get so nervous and tongue tided around them and just have nothing to say. I think their wisdom they have gained from many years on this earth intimidates me. And I have a hard time understanding some of their speech, so that just adds to the anxiety. So, any-who yesterday we went to an assisted living home here in Shannon. I was like freaking out all morning and slightly dreading going. (I know that sounds so horrible) But, I did it, I got in the car and then when we got there I got out and went inside. So we had just finished singing and the pastor was like, "Ok now it's time for someone to share". And my ever so lovely team leader was like, "Taylor, go." I didn't even have time to think or respond as I was being pushed to the front of the pack. And then I was met face to face to face with about 15 elderly people sitting around the room all staring at ME! In my head was a minor freakout. And then the words just started spilling out. Trust me it was nothing eloquent or even that awesome, but those words were from God, because there wasn't anything going on in my head except freakoutage. I talked about how when I moved from Kentucky to Alabama I hardened my heart towards God and my parents for making me move. How I thought the world had ended and that God was playing some kind of cruel joke on me. But then I talked about how at Camp of Champions God really touched me and spoke to me through Jeremiah 29:11, which says, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."How, He restored my faith in Him and He made me feel loved and like He did have a plan for me. I felt like I was rambling and I don't even remember all of what I said, but sometimes I think that's best, because then I don't feel like I left anything out. After I shared I started crying and I still don't really know why. I think God was stirring something inside me but I didn't really have time to process it or to talk it out. So, we shall see what comes from this. I still have some aversion to old people and I didn't really go reach out after my testimony, I was a bit shaken up. But God is so good and I hope He used the testimony of His goodness to touch someone.

To God be the GLORY!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, I love it. You responded and God will use it in the lives of all who heard! Go, girl!

    ReplyDelete